At the end of March 2020, we as a country and the world are all in limbo. So as a result, our annual Wenas Camp Out as you can imagine is also in limbo. Optimistically, it will go on as scheduled. Your Wenas organizing committee is working on planning and lining up the events that you look forward to each year in the event that it can be held Memorial Day weekend as scheduled.
The campground and almost all the lands that we bird for Wenas are on DNR (Department of Natural Resources) property. Many of you already know that DNR has closed all of its nearly 6 million acres to the public through at least April 8, 2020. This link will give you the latest and updated information on DNR lands as we move forward.
As much as we would like Wenas to continue this year, our main concern is the health and safety of all its participants. With that being said, a decision on whether or not the Wenas Camp Out will go on this year is obviously pending. As new information becomes available, it will be posted on both the Wenas Facebook page and on this website.
The governor has implemented mandates for social distancing and for group gatherings and we must adhere to them. Even if those are lifted, if it is determined that it is not in the best interest for the health and safety for those attending or if the closure of DNR lands extends through the end of May, Wenas will be cancelled this year and notifications will go out as soon as possible. Much of the surrounding areas of Wenas are managed either by the US Forest Service or WDFW, who would also have to agree to lift restrictions to entry before Memorial Day.